Kyle 1.0: Geek Culture and New Media

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What you'll find in the paper...

So after I finished teaching my class today I decided to take a stroll around campus just to get myself out of the Atec building (which i need to more often). So I hit Johnson and I'm about get on the elevator when I decide to grab the campus paper. On the front page I find an article about how the internet isn't always safe for students due to social networks like facebook and Myspace. I'm reading the article finding out things like how some big corporations are skipping the interview process on some applicants and are checking their facebook sites. If they see and pictures or comments that they don't like, then they decide against them. They had a list of how different students had also lost their jobs due to stuff the either said or posted on there facebook/myspace site. Apparently for UTD even the police are using it to there advantage. The claim they don't check it that often, but they did mention how they are able to keep tabs of parties that are going on on campus due to students posting them on these sites. Some people in the career center have even go as far to advise students that they should watch what they put up on there sites because they never know just how it may end up hurting them in the future. Now I know that people already had to be careful with there sites due to such characters the sick predators that create false accounts just to get close to young girls, but now people are going to have to be careful with there accounts from the other end of the stick, They now have to be careful from people that are there to help us such as job recruiters and the police. I mean these site were created so that students could have fun and keep in touch with there friends, but now it looks that even that could be taken away from everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home