Kyle 1.0: Geek Culture and New Media

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hospital/On-line communities connection...

So this past Friday, i received a bit of unwelcomed news. After meeting with my parents for dinners, I came to fin d out that my father had been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Now good news is that it was caught in the early stages and and will be treatable. Still when you hear that someone close to you has cancer of any kind, it can tend to be a little disheartning. So I went with my parents to the hospital yesterday to find out just what would have to be done for my father. While I was waiting with the parents in the waiting room, i picked up an issue of a magazine called Inc. It is a magazine that basically looks at entrepreneurs and people in the world of business. Well as I started skimming the pages, one article drew my attention. It was an article about a company called Six Apart. I come to find out that this is the company responsible for Moveable Type and Typepad, software and hosting for blogs. Aparently the company had also purchased Live-Journal. The main purpose for the article was, even though Six Apart had already made it's imprint in the world of of Web 2.0 through blogs, they really hadn't made a mark in the area of social networking. With the popularity of sites such as Myspace and Facebook, the wanted to find out if they could break into that market also. Well that is just what they did. In October of last year, Six Apart launched a on-line community called Vox. Vox is basically a new way for people to blog, but with more of a sense of Myspace. The main focus is for blogging, but you are able up-load photos and video also, let along still connecting to other sites such as Youtube, Flickr, etc. It's still brand new, but the site has already broken the 200,000 user mark. I'd have to say that's not bad for a still brand new Social Network. I'm still not totally sure all that Vox has to offer, but I'm going to keep an eye on it (probably set up an account like i do on other sites) and see where it and Six Apart will go in the future. With a company like that, I wonder who else we will see step-up and and work to make their mark in the industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home